Friday, September 5, 2014

Conversations with a 2 year old

I realize that conversing with a toddler can be a bit difficult at times.  Their speech is awkward, not always pronouncing things quite right yet, missing some parts of speech and such.  It's so interesting though as their vocabulary expands and their sentences become more structured.  Little man doesn't talk a lot, like my nieces do, but he can certainly talk if he feels like it.  The mother of another 2 year old just a few months younger than my little man exclaimed her surprise and jealousy at how well he speaks already.  Her son has been saying basic one word sentences and not much else. I was like, aw it's alright...its just the different timeline for that development.  I mean...what else do you say to another mom who is worried about their child's development rate?

I guess I do kind of take for granted that I am able to converse somewhat with little man... It's a good thing these days when I've been so stressed out I haven't been so in tune to what is happening with other people.  I'm glad he's smarter than your average bear and can tell me "I want eat" when he's hungry or "I want juice/chocolate milk" when he's thirsty. (we're working on please and thank you)  Now, if only he'd say "I gotta go potty" more than that one time he said it and ran to the bathroom unprompted.

These are a couple of the most recent conversations:

Me: (after picking him up from his dad's) So what'd you do today?
LLM: I go daddys.
Me: Yeah?
LLM: Uh huh..go park and play.  I run really fast.  Really really fast.  And I fall down. I got booboo.  See?
Me: Oh I see, you went to the park and ran around really fast.  That must have been fun.  But you got a boo boo??
LLM: I got 2 boo boos
Me: Aw you have 2 boo boos? I only see one, where's the other one?
LLM: I got boo boo here my knee.  'Nother boo boo here (points to foot)
Me: Oh I see the boo boo on your knee.  What happened to your foot? Is there another boo boo?
LLM: Yeah, it hurts. ::pokes it:: owwie.
Me: Well don't poke it!
LLM: I poke it, it hurts.

Then last night when I picked him up from the sitters.  She gave me the run down of his being naughty yesterday.  Apparently he bit and hit one of the other kids (Connor) and swiped toys away from the other boy (Giovanni). So he had a couple time outs. Which is rare if you know this kid.

LLM: I do myself! (trying to get in the car into his carseat...he's been really independent about that lately)  Here mommy hold dis (he pulled the straps open so he can sit in between) I buckle...click!
Me: Click! Good job buckling in. I'll get the rest.
LLM: I need my sungasses pease
Me: Ok, lets finish strapping you in with your buckle and I'll get your sunglasses. So what'd you do today?
LLM; I went Miss Jill's
Me: Yeah, what did you do at Ms Jill's?
LLM: I play Connor
Me: So you played with Connor? What about Giovanni?
LLM: I play Jobanni too
Me: That's good, what else happened?
LLM: (gets really quiet and whispers) I got time out.
Me: Yeah, I heard you got a time out, what happened?
LLM: (still whispering) I push Connor
Me: I heard that you hit Connor. You know that's not how we play right?
LLM: (still whispering) uh huh...
Me: Ok, well I expect you to play nicely with both Connor and Giovanni from now on ok? Or Ms Jill will give you more time outs, got it?
LLM: yeah. (finds his left over cereal box in his seat) mommy pease i eat cereal?

It really amazes me how he can interact in this way...but with all this comes the attitude as well.

"Leave me alone!" (yes, already. this has already started happening)
"Don't touch dat!"
"Das mine!"

Usually the tantrums begin with "I wan do myself!" (I want to do it myself!) and if it's not something he's able to do he gets so extremely frustrated.  Unfortunately, I can't help him understand that he's not big enough to do it yet (either he's too young or he's just not physically developed enough yet). He's like a 4 year old trapped in a 2 year old's body sometimes...

No comments:

Post a Comment